Volunteers sought for local bird count
December 16, 2014
Come birding with us! Volunteers are needed for the 115th Audubon Christmas Bird Count, the oldest and largest citizen science event in the world.
This annual tradition has created a vast pool of bird data that is the most comprehensive available for mid-December to early January. It is a fertile source of information on the status and distribution of early winter bird populations and is studied by scientists and interested people the world over.
The Fallon area count will take place on Dec. 14 beginning at 8 a.m. at the Daily Grind at 1805 West Williams Ave. An after-count compilation gathering will be held. More people are needed. Also, much of this counting is done from within or near vehicles, so consider enlisting a friend or relative to volunteer as a driver to aid the birders who are counting.
Trending In: Lahontan Valley
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’