WNC offers summer classes in Fallon
Western Nevada College
Students can get an early start on their lower division college requirements through the convenience of Western Nevada College’s online instruction, as well as education and auto mechanics classes that highlight summer semester offerings on the Fallon campus.
The summer term begins Monday and continues through Aug. 2. For more information, phone 775-423-7565, go to wnc.edu. Fallon and online class offerings include the following:
• AUTO 198: Special Topics in Automotive Mechanics: This entry-level class is suitable for students who want to maintain and service own vehicles. Shop safety, equipment operation, tool identification, usage and maintenance, including changing oil and checking all fluids for proper levels, will be covered. Instructor: Randy Sharp. Time: 8 a.m.-11:45 a.m. Saturdays.
• EDU 210: Nevada School Law: This course identifies legal issues in education and illustrates the implications of laws and mandates in the schools. Information provided on avoiding situations that may lead to litigations. Concepts covered include teacher liability, teacher and student right to free speech and privacy, and accommodations for religious practices and students with disabilities. Instructor: Sherry Black. Time: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays, June 14-28.
• ENG 99: Basic Writing Strategies: Students will be taught basic English skills including sentence patterns and basic paragraph development. Review of grammar, mechanics, punctuation, spelling, and word usage included. Instructor: Laurel Topken. Time: 1-3:45 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
• EPY 150: Strategies for Academic Success: Students will learn effective and efficient study skills. This class offers a good introduction to planning and organization for college students. Instructor: Laurel Topken. Time: 10 to 11:45 a.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
• Driver’s Education: Western Nevada College will offer required driver education courses for teenagers 15 and older during the summer in Fallon and Fernley. Each four-day class meets daily, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Cost is $95.
One class will meet at Fernley High School, Monday-Thursday, June 23-26. An additional class will be held at the WNC Fallon campus, Monday-Thursday, July 14-17. New drivers under age 18 are required to take a 30-hour New Driver Education course if one is offered within a 30-mile radius of their residential address.
In addition to Nevada driving regulations, the course covers how to handle distractions in the vehicle, falling asleep at the wheel, peer pressure and driving under the influence. Speakers include public safety officials and insurance representatives. Instruction includes tips on how to drive safely around large trucks and motorcycles and how to avoid unexpected objects in the road, as well as maneuvering safely through roundabouts and rules for driving in bad weather.
More than a dozen classes will be offered online during the summer term, allowing students flexibility to earn college credit while enjoying their regular summer activities. Classes include accounting, business, health science, English, finance, history, mathematics, management and marketing.
For information/registration, 775-423-7565 or http://www.wnc.edu