A history of Rock Point Mill
1861 – First rock-crushing or “stamp” mill built at site.
1882 – Fire destroys the mill, which had processed silver.
1883 – The C.C. Stevens Mills is moved to the site.
1888 – Carson & Colorado railroad lays a spur to the mill.
1893 – Spur removed. Herman Davis builds cyanide plant.
1898 – Davis buys mill, renames it Nevada Reduction Works.
1907 – Dam breaks that holds water for mill,
washing away $80,000 worth of tailings.
1909 – Mill burns, arson suspected.
1910 – Mill rebuilt as the Nevada Mining, Reduction & Power Works.
1911 – Aerial tramway built to transport ore from the Hayward Mine
in Silver City. Lyon County seat moved to Yerington
as population of Dayton declines with closure of mines.
1920 – Mill dismantled and moved to Silver City.
1920 -54 – Site used as Dayton town dump.
1954 – Site purchased by Nevada Department of Transportation.
1977 – Site transferred to Nevada State Parks.
Source: Dayton State Park brochure