AARP offers free tax assistance
Nevada Appeal Staff Writer
The American Association of Retired Persons is providing free tax service for low- to middle-income people. Those seeking assistance do not have to be AARP members or senior citizens.
Gil Yanuck, senior district coordinator for Northern Nevada AARP Tax-Aide program, said volunteers helped about 18,000 Nevadans in 2008.
“Compared to last year, we’re up about 15 percent (in appointments) this year,” Yanuck said. “Carson City alone did about 900 returns last year. Nationwide, we (AARP) did 2.9 million returns.”
Yanuck said each return is filed on the standard 1040 return. He encouraged participants to bring in all applicable financial forms, especially last year’s return.
“And we need to know what they received in regard to last year’s economic stimulus payment,” he said.
To get individual information on the amount of stimulus received, call toll-free 1-866-234-2942.
Yanuck said items commonly overlooked for deduction include medical mileage ” to and from doctors, picking up prescriptions; charitable mileage driven; even traveling out of state for medical treatment for family members who are claimed as a dependent.
“There’s also credits for first-time homebuyers, and mortgage relief. Just bring everything to help us maximize the return to benefit for them.”
Now through April 15 representatives will be at the following locations:
– Carson City Senior Citizens Center, 911 Beverly Drive, 12:30-5 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays. Appointment required, call 883-0703.
– Friends in Service Helping, 138 E. Long St., 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays. Appointment required, call 882-8448.
– Douglas County Senior Center, 2300 Meadow Lane, Gardnerville, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursdays. Appointment required, call 783-6455.
– Douglas County Library, 1625 Library Lane, Minden, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesdays. Appointment required, call 782-9841.
– Dayton Senior Center, 320 Old Dayton Valley Road, 12:30-3:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursdays. Appointment required, call 246-6210.
– Lyon County Library, 20 Nevin Way, Yerington, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fridays. Appointment required, call 775-463-7910.
– Silver Springs Senior Center, 2795 Fort Churchill Road, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays. Appointment required, call 577-5014 or 577-0925.
– Fernley Senior Center, 1170 W. Newlands Drive, 9 a.m.-noon, Thursdays. Appointment required, call 575-3370.
Contact Rhonda Costa at email@example.com or 881-1223.