Accidental mixture of chemicals closes metal shop Tuesday
A Carson City business may remain closed today after waste sludge became mixed with acid Tuesday creating a toxic fume.
Carson City Fire Capt. Bob Schreihans said employees of All Metals Processing Co. Inc. of Nevada on Lepire Drive were evacuated just before 11 a.m. One woman was taken to Carson Tahoe Regional Medical Center for treatment after inhaling some of the orange fumes. A cul-de-sac to the east of the building was also evacuated.
Schreihans said it is unclear how the chromium trioxide became mixed with the sludge, but the error was immediately evident by the smell and color it produced.
Schreihans said about 300 gallons of the foul mixture were still “bubbling” at 6:30 p.m. and members of the Quad-County Hazmat Team were either going to let it burn off its gases or absorb the mixture.
The Quad-County Hazmat Team is made up of members from the Lyon, Storey, Douglas and Carson fire departments.
The U.S. Environmental Cleanup Co. was also on hand to aid in the cleanup.
The cleanup reduced northbound traffic on Fairview Drive to one lane from Butti Way to Desatoya Drive for several hours.
All Metals Processing Co. Inc. is a metal-finishing and plate-engraving company.
Secret Witness turns 40 this year – and it’s helped solve many of Northern Nevada’s most violent crimes
Secret Witness tips have played a pivotal role in solving some of the most violent crimes the greater Northern Nevada region has seen. To date, Secret Witness has paid out more than $300,000 in rewards to anonymous tipsters. Rewards range from $50 (graffiti/tagging) to $1,500 (armed robbery) to $2,500 (murder).