Alleged kidnapper bound over for trial
November 16, 2007
A 24-year-old man accused of grabbing a Virginia City woman from behind as she walked on E Street in the historic mining town has pleaded not guilty to two counts of kidnapping.
Gary E. Morgan, 24, of Anaheim, Calif., was arraigned Friday before District Court Judge William Maddox on two counts of kidnapping with no bodily harm. The second count was added because the woman was holding her 7-week-old baby when the incident occurred.
His bail, initially set at $300,000, was reduced to $50,000.
Storey County Sheriff’s Sgt. Ken Quirk has said the incident occurred about 3:40 p.m. on Oct. 20.
Morgan, who was in Virginia City to attend a wedding, allegedly grabbed the 36-year-old victim as she walked with a 5-year-old holding her hand and carrying the infant.
Quirk said that when the victim walked away from Morgan, he grabbed her around the waist from behind and covered her mouth while dragging her backwards.
Recommended Stories For You
A witness driving by contacted the sheriff’s office. An intoxicated Morgan was arrested several blocks away, Quirk said.
Trending In: Local
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Murder suspect in U.S. illegally, authorities say
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit