Awards to honor economic expansion in Northern Nevada
What: The 22nd Annual Governor’s Industry Appreciation Awards
Why: The dinner will recognize the distinguished business of the year, Charles River Laboratories, for expanding its business in South Reno. Twenty-seven other regional companies will be recognized for moving or expanding in Northern Nevada.
When: The event begins at 5:30 p.m. with a no-host reception followed by the program and dinner at 6:45 p.m. on Oct. 25.
Where: John Ascuaga’s Nugget. 1100 Nugget Ave., in Sparks
Features: Jerry Greenfield, co-founder of Ben & Jerry’s Homemade Inc., will present, “An Evening of Entrepreneurial Spirit: The Success of Values-Driven Leadership.” The presentation will focus on how Northern Nevada entrepreneurs can successfully launch their start-up company while demonstrating community stewardship and corporate social responsibility.
Cost: Tickets are $130 per person or $1,170 for a table of 10.
Call: Contact Gayla Williams at 829-3700.
Local companies that are honored, and why:
• “We’re grateful as a young company that Nevada would step up to the table and help us out so that we, in turn, can build a strong foundation so that we can be around for a long time and provide jobs.”
– Daniel Neisingh, CEO Sierra Stainless Inc., a Dayton company founded in April, that manufactures stainless steel tanks for the food and wine industries.
• “Pro-Dex is being honored by their new division opening in Carson City, formerly Astromec. This manufacturer has been in business for 39 years but was recently acquired by Pro-Dex, based out of Santa Ana (Calif.). Pro-Dex chose Astromec for its great business climate, affordable manufacturing space and room to expand.”
– Sheena Nelson, customer service representative for Pro-Dex Astromec, a rotary drive manufacturer
• Basalite Concrete Products added 75,000 square feet and 14 jobs to manufacture landscaping products in Carson City.
• Vitamin Research Products added 19,500 square feet to its existing building and 10 new employees for nutritional supplement development and distribution.