Board votes to loosen mobile home restrictions | NevadaAppeal.com

Board votes to loosen mobile home restrictions

Sandi Hoover
shoover@nevadaappeal.com

The Carson City Board of Supervisors gave preliminary approval Thursday to allowing manufactured or mobile homes that are more than 15 years old to be placed within mobile home parks under certain circumstances.

At the request of Supervisor Shelly Aldean, Carson City adopted an ordinance in 2005 prohibiting older mobile homes from being brought into the city limits. It was adopted after other jurisdictions, including Lyon County, enacted similar ordinances. It was feared at the time that Carson City could becoming the dumping ground for older units.

But in 2009, the owners of the Cottonwood Mobile Home Park, Al and Mary Fischer, approached the city about the difficulties they were having finding newer homes small enough to fit into the spaces in their park. They said appearance and safety of mobile homes should determine suitability rather than age.

The amendment would establish aesthetic criteria under which older units could be placed in parks in Carson City. A second reading of the amended ordinance will need to pass April 15 before it takes effect.

In other matters Thursday, the board:

• Voted to lower the tax rate previously adopted March 4 from $3.1299 per $100 of assessed valuation to $3.0899, assuming the Carson City School District follows through on its intent to lower its school debt rate by 4 cents.

Director of Finance Nick Providenti told the board that if the school district lowers its debt rate from 47 cents to 43 cents, most Carson City residents will not see a reduction in their property taxes.

The revenue would go to the city’s general fund instead, which is estimated could be bumped up by about $500,000.

If the board had decided to keep the rate at $3.1299 rather than lowering it, it would have generated about $54,000 more in property taxes.

• Approved the use of sound recording equipment in the First Judicial District Court effective July 1.

• Heard a presentation from Carson City Little League’s Indoor Facility Coordinator Don Smit and Vice President Jim Andrews about construction of a 6,000-square-foot indoor batting cage facility at Governor’s Field.

Through donations and fundraisers, the group has raised $200,000 for the project.

The four batting cages also can be used for events such as fundraisers, sign-ups and meetings, but the main purpose is to provide a place where youngsters can practice in any weather.

The group anticipates ground could be broken this month with opening in July or August.

“This has been sought after for many, many years,” said Supervisor Pete Livermore, president of the Carson City Youth Sports Association.

• Adopted a resolution declaring Invasive Species Awareness Week from April 12-17. To report sightings of noxious weeds, call the Cooperative Extension Office at 887-2252.




Local


See more