Burned Douglas boy recovering well after surgery
A Douglas County boy remained in stable condition at Shriners Hospital for Children in Sacramento on Tuesday after undergoing skin-graft surgery on his left hand.
Ky Nielsen, 14, was hospitalized Thursday after being burned, possibly while attempting to siphon gasoline from a 55-gallon drum, according to Sgt. Tom Mezzetta of the Douglas County Sheriff’s Department.
Family friend Jane Gray took her son, Ethan Gray, and friend Dan MaCauley, both 14, to visit the injured boy Sunday.
“At the time, he was in pretty good spirits but he was on a lot of pain killers,” she reported. “He was happy to be with his friends, but he got tired pretty quickly.”
According to the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office, Nielsen’s chest, torso and hands were injured with second- and third-degree burns.
Four hours after the fire, the boy was taken by private car to Carson Valley Medical Center in Gardnerville, which notified the sheriff’s department. He was then flown by helicopter to the University of California Medical Center at Davis.
Although no criminal charges have been filed, investigators are trying to determine if he was intentionally set on fire.
Gray said she spoke with Nielsen’s mother shortly after Monday’s surgery and she said he was in “quite a bit of pain” where skin was taken from the back of his thigh for the graft.
Gray said his mother was trying to remain in high spirits but was worried about her son and affairs at home. She said they have no family nearby so they will have to rely on support from the community.
Members of the Carson Valley Sertoma Club set up an account at the U.S. Bank in Gardnerville under the account number: 153751299105.
“We help people in the valley who need help,” said Sertoma Chairman George Liddell. “That’s what the club does.”
Contact Teri Vance at email@example.com or at 881-1272.