Business briefly May 1
Networking group hosting event
The Carson City Chapter of Business Network International, a networking organization specializing in business referrals among members, is hosting “visitor’s day” at 7 a.m. May 5 in Carson City.
The event will be at the Plaza Conference Center, 211 E. Ninth St.
For more information or to RSVP contact Cathy Gillespie at 775-782-3067 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Lori Duster at 775-901-6516 or lorisetthestage@
Carson High School senior wins business scholarship
The National Federation of Independent Business Young Entrepreneur Foundation announced the Nevada recipients of the ninth annual NFIB Young Entrepreneur Awards, a scholarship program designed to reward and encourage entrepreneurial talents among high school students.
• Carson High School senior Curtis DeVore of Carson City
• Arbor View High School senior Kelsey Kinsel of Las Vegas
Both won a $1,000 scholarship.
More than 4,500 students nationwide applied for the scholarship this year and 131 were awarded nation-wide.
To qualify for a YEF Award, students must be running their own business. They were required to write an essay describing their entrepreneurial endeavors and future goals. Standardized test scores, GPA, and class rank were also considered in the selection process. NFIB members around the country nominated applicants for the Young Entrepreneur Awards.
Economic indicators from the U.S. Department of Commerce:
– Real gross domestic product grew at an annual rate of 1.8 percent in the first quarter of 2011, according to last week’s advance estimate. This follows a growth rate of 3.1 percent in the fourth quarter of 2010.
– March new orders for manufactured goods rose 2.5 percent to $208 billion. Shipments increased 1.8 percent to $207 billion. Unfilled orders rose 0.8 percent to $843 billion. Inventories increased 1.3 percent to $334 billion.
– Sales of new single-family homes in March 2011 were 300,000 at a seasonally adjusted annual rate, up 11 percent from the revised February level but down 22 percent from their year-ago level.
Carson company inks contract
Phoenix Aerospace Inc. of Carson City signed a licensing agreement with DRS Environment Systems Inc. Phoenix will remanufacture DRS ground flight-line products. Terms weren’t disclosed.
– Northern Nevada Business Weekly
Contractor completes work
Shaheen Beauchamp Builders, LLC., of Carson City was the contractor that worked on the Fatburger that opened last month in the Sierra Summit mall in south Reno.
NAS hires marketing coordinator
Lindsay Williams recently joined Nevada Association Services, Inc., as marketing coordinator. Williams’ priorities include customer service with community managers and management companies, customer retention, community outreach and representation and the design and implementation of marketing campaigns.