Calendar of events
• Kick-off ceremony at noon for I-580 the extension of the U.S. 395 freeway to south to Washoe Valley. Ceremony takes place on overpass over Mount Rose Highway.
• Carson City Chronic Disease Self-Management Program free workshop, 1-4:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Lutheran Family Hall, 1201 N. Saliman Road. Call 856-3839 to register.
• Carson City Chapter of Retired Public Employees of Nevada meet at 2 p.m. at the Carson City Senior Citizens Center, 911 Beverly Drive. Guest speaker is Brenda Vonderau, registered pharmacist; Q&A session after meeting. Marte Bibb available for questions also. Call 883-6334.
• Carson City Parks and Recreation Commission meeting, 5:30 p.m. at the Carson City Community Center Sierra Room.
• Gold Hill Lecture series at the Gold Hill Hotel features state archivist Guy Rocha. Call 847-0111.
• Truckee River whitewater ribbon-cutting ceremony in Reno, 11 a.m. at Wingfield Park (Arlington Avenue and First Street) at the amphitheater, with Mayor Bob Cashell. Call 827-7750.
• Madison Avenue performs at the Carson Nugget Show Lounge; 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. Tuesday-Thursday and Sunday, 8 p.m.-2 a.m. Friday-Saturday. Call 882-1626.