• More than 30,000 Americans will be diagnosed with oral or pharynx cancer. More than 8,000 people will die.
• The fatality rate is high because oral cancer is often discovered late.
• Oral cancer is dangerous because it can spread and cause other tumors.
• The most common areas for oral cancer to develop are on the tongue and bottom of the mouth.
• Chewing tobacco contains more than 3,000 chemicals, including lead, arsenic, cyanide and formaldehyde. About 28 chemicals are carcinogenic.
Tobaccofacts.org and oralcancerfoundation.org