Caregiving training sessions set
July 15, 2012
The Nevada Arts Council has awarded 145 grants for fiscal 2013 to organizations and institutions through its Arts Learning and Grants programs.
A total of $519,966 was awarded at the board’s June 29 meeting after a month long process in which applications were evaluated by different panels.
While the majority of organizations receiving awards were located in Nevada’s population centers – Reno and Las Vegas – smaller communities were well represented in the final awards.
In Carson City, a total of 11 grants were awarded, more than half of the 20 awards to western Nevada organizations outside of Reno.
Arts Council Chairman Tim Jones said the applicants are “doing a stellar job in providing our communities and schools a broad range of cultural activities.”
“Although the board is delighted to provide these grants throughout the state, we are saddened that panel recommended award amounts were so dramatically reduced because of budget cuts to the Arts Council,” he said.
Recommended Stories For You
Two project grants to support activities of community organizations were awarded in the area:
• Nevada Indian Commission, Carson City, $2,924.
• Tahoe Gallery at Sierra Nevada College, Incline Village, $3,023.
One Arts Grant to support education projects:
• Silver Springs Elementary, Silver Springs, $3,071.
Six Arts Education Component Grants for programs of Partners in Excellence:
• Brewery Arts Center, Carson City, $2,477.
• Capital City Arts Initiative, Carson City, $1,514.
• Carson City Symphony Association, $2,588.
• Carson Valley Arts Council, Gardnerville, $2,152.
• Mile High Jazz Band, Carson City, $348.
• Wild Horse Productions, Carson City, $2,462.
Partners in Excellence supporting established arts and cultural organizations in two tiers and six levels of funding:
PIE Tier 1 Level 1: Lake Tahoe Classic Guitar Society, Incline Village, $1,603.
PIE Tier 1 Level 2: Mile High Jazz Band Association, Carson City, $2,868.
PIE tier 1 Level 3: Brewery Arts Center, Carson City, $3,088; Capital City Arts Initiative, Carson City, $3,596; Carson City Symphony Association, $3,636; Carson Valley Arts Council, Gardnerville, $3,177; Tahoe Arts Project, Zephyr Cove, $3,362; Wild Horse Productions, Carson City, $3,459.
PIE Tier 2 Level 4: Arts for the Schools, Tahoe Vista, $7,417; and St. Mary’s Art Center, Virginia City, $9,795.
PIE Tier 2 Level 5: Churchill Arts Council, Fallon, $15,379.
Trending In: Local
- Seaside, California, man dies while skiing at Lake Tahoe
- Bill would eliminate death penalty in Nevada
- Public Utilities Commission: Nevada doesn’t get advance notice of plutonium shipments
- Revamped Carson City theater holds 2 opening nights
- Apple finishes Reno warehouse, announces Northern Nevada expansion