Carson City mom released pending neglect sentence
A Carson City woman was released on her own recognizance Tuesday as she awaits sentencing for allegedly leaving her teen son home alone for days without any food besides birthday cake.
Kelly Pray, 34, pleaded guilty in November to a charge of gross misdemeanor child neglect or endangerment.
According to court records, Pray was jailed in September after school officers found her 14-year-old son home alone in a filthy house off Sunrise Drive. The boy hadn’t been to school for days and he said his mother left him with no food or money. He’d been eating birthday cake for three days.
Pray faces up to a year in jail when sentenced Jan. 18.
The boy, who has a learning disability, is in the custody of a great-uncle.
Also before Judge Jim Wilson on Tuesday:
• A trial date was set for Feb. 9 for Rigoberto Vega Aguilar, 29, charged with felony possession of a firearm by a restricted person. In a phone call to the Nevada Appeal, Vega Aguilar denied his guilt and claimed the Carson City Sheriff’s Office is out to get him because he overheard a conversation detrimental to Sheriff Ken Furlong. Vega Aguilar also claimed the sheriff held a gun to his head and cursed at him. Furlong denied the exchange. Vega Aguilar declined to go into detail over the phone.
• John Wayne Miller, 51, was given a suspended prison sentence of 12 to 36 months, and probation for up to five years on a charge of possession of a controlled substance.
• Thomas Earl Peddy, 52, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to violate the uniform controlled substance act. Peddy was arrested after officers found meth-producing materials in a backpack at a home where Peddy was staying. He faces up to five years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine when sentenced Jan. 18.
• Leon Gene Rutherford, 31, was sentenced to 12 to 36 months in prison on a charge of possession of stolen property. He was given credit for 79 days in jail.
• Janice Louis Wyke, 43, pleaded not guilty to felony third-offense drunken driving. A three-day trial is set to begin March 7.
• Rex Owen Killen, 23, pleaded guilty to felony burglary.