Carson City to receive disaster assistance for February floods
The federal government has approved financial assistance to state, tribal and local governments in Nevada.
Gov. Brian Sandoval applied for the assistance after flooding and other weather related damage in February, an effort backed by Nevada’s congressional delegation.
“I am grateful for the cooperation from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, FEMA and the recognition of the urgency of the situation,” Sandoval said.
President Trump issued a Major Disaster Declaration for Nevada following the request and Sens. Dean Heller and Catherine Cortez Masto say the Federal Emergency Management Agency has now announced the state will get funding for Douglas, Elko, Humboldt and Washoe counties as well as Carson City.
“This past month, devastating storms rocked Northern Nevada and destroyed homes, property and roads,” said Heller, a Republican.
Rosalyn L. Cole has been named as the federal coordinating officer for federal recovery operations in the affected area. Cole said additional designations may be made at a later date if warranted by the results of damage assessments.
“Northern Nevadans whose homes and livelihood have been affected by severe flooding need our support so they can continue to rebuild,” said Masto, a Democrat.
Carson City officials said Tuesday they’re actively working with the state Division of Emergency Management and FEMA on recovery.
“We’re pleased FEMA announced a formal declaration addressing flooding and mudslides from Feb. 5 to Feb. 22. This declaration allows Carson City to pursue federal disaster assistance, for local recovery efforts, from the February storms,” said City Manager Nick Marano in an email.
Carson City experienced citywide damage, an estimated $3.4 million in January and an additional $1.3 million in February, according to Stacey Belt, Carson City deputy emergency manager.
Officials said the February storm was especially hard on the west side of the city, “with renewed damage to areas previously affected during the January storms.”
FEMA will assist with up to 75 percent of total storm damage for approved projects, Marano said.
Disaster assistance was approved in February for the flooding that occurred Jan. 5-14.
The January floods did an estimated $386,216 in damage to public property in Douglas County, according to the county.
Included in that amount is $187,591 in road damage, $60,000 to clear debris and $138,625 in emergency protective measures.
The county didn’t report damage to any public buildings, utilities or parks.