Carson community can apply for home repair funding |

Carson community can apply for home repair funding

Amanda Hammon

Looking to do some home repairs?

Residents who live in a Carson City house with more than 50 years of wear and tear are eligible to apply for home rehabilitation grants from the Community Development Department and the Historic Architecture Review Commission.

In 1998 the city received a $25,000 grant designed to help people in the low- to moderate-income range. The project is aimed at aiding historic home owners to keep their homes in good condition.

Planner Rob Joiner said the average grant would be about $5,000, although there are no limits. With little money to spread around, Joiner expects funds to go fast.

“I want the money to go so we can justify a need and go after more funding,” he said. “What’s important to us is that we can help historic structures.”

HARC members spent about six months putting together the guidelines for the program. City supervisors will review the guidelines today.

Each grant application will be rated, based on such things as income level and historic value of the home. Applications will be reviewed by architecture commission members and city staff.

Homes with electrical, roofing, foundation and weather problems are high on the priority list, as well as homes listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Eligibility requirements include:

— Property must meet criteria for state or federal historic designation.

— Income limits for grant recipient must fall within the low- to moderate income range. For example, a family of two must have an income under $34,300.

— Homeowners must carry insurance.

Call the Community Development Department at 887-2188 for a full list of eligibility and application requirements.