Carson man arrested on suspicion of embezzlement
November 22, 2013
A 20-year-old Carson City man was arrested Thursday night at Walmart on Market Street on suspicion of embezzlement.
According to the Carson City Sheriff's Office:
A deputy was called to the store on a report of embezzlement about 7:30 p.m. The store's asset-protection coordinator said he'd been monitoring cashier Kyle James Bettencourt's cash transactions and that Bettencourt had embezzled about $750 between Nov. 13 and Thursday. He said that when confronted, Bettencourt acknowledged that he'd stolen and apologized. He also said Bettencourt pulled a $100 bill out of his pocket and handed it over, saying he couldn't lie and that he'd taken it from the register that day.
Bettencourt was arrested on the felony count. Bail was set at $20,000. Bettencourt remained in the Carson City Jail on Friday morning.
Trending In: Local
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit
- Carson City Aquatic Facility reopening on Tuesday
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’