Celebrate Memorial Day with weekend events
• Sea to Shining Sea bike ride stops in Carson City at
4 p.m. downtown at the Capitol steps. The ride of veterans, many of whom were injured in Iraq and Afghanistan, left San Francisco on Saturday and plans to arrive in Virginia Beach, Va., on July 24. Marilyn Lewis from State Farm Insurance is hosting the athletes during their stop in Carson City. Contact Lewis at 775-882-4875 with questions or to volunteer. For more information visit http://www.S2Sbikeride.org.
• Placement of Memorial Day Flags, 4 p.m. Lone Mountain Cemetery, Carson City. The Disabled American Veterans, other local veteran organizations and Boy Scouts will place U.S. flags on veterans’ graves at the Veterans Cemetery. Flags will be available to those who want to post one on veterans’ graves in other areas of the cemetery. Following Memorial Day on Monday flags will be removed from the graves. The public is encouraged to participate. To volunteer contact Bob Crowder at 755-885-6003 or Ron Gutzman at 775-882-6528.
• Shane Dwight will kick off the free GE Energy Family Concert Series, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m., Minden Park, 1614 Esmeralda Ave, Minden. Bring a low back chair and enjoy an evening of music in the park. Call 775-782-9828.
• Join the Silver Dollar Car Classic cars that will be on display at the Carson Nugget West parking lot. No charge for spectators or cars. Rock ‘n’ roll music and food. The event runs from 6 to 8 p.m.
• Celebration of Heroes Parade, C Street, Virginia City, noon Saturday. Registration and lineup at 11 a.m. at Fourth Ward School, 537 South C St. Grand marshal is Norman A. Winkler, a 97-year-old Reno man and staff sergeant who served in General Patton’s 3rd Army Division. Veterans, equestrians and many more entries are expected. Members of the American Legion Post 56 of Carson City will lead the parade, and their bugler will play Taps to honor the fallen. For more information visit http://www.visitvirginiacitynv.com or call 847-4386.
• Lyon County Search and Rescue “Project: Life Vest” will be distributing free life jackets to children Saturday at 11 a.m. at the Day Use Area of Lake Lahontan in Silver Springs. Members also will educate the children and parents on water safety and the importance of children wearing life vests. Children will be properly fitted with the life vests and shown the difference between properly fitting and ill-fitting life vests.
• Bring your cars old and new to the Smith’s Food and Drug Show & Shine, 599 E. William St., in Carson City from 9 a.m-3 p.m. The event will feature great music, giveaways and trophies. There is a fee for the cars but spectators get in free. T-shirt and free lunch for car participants. Call Bryan at 775-690-3680 for information.
• Ghost Walking Tour of Carson City historic homes. Learn about spirits of the past that still linger. Madame Curry will be your tour guide with many haunting surprises to occur. The tour begins at 7 p.m. with departure from The Firkin & Fox, at 3rd and Curry streets. Adults $15 in advance or $20 at the door. Call 775-687-7410 for advance tickets and information.
• Fourth annual Walk/Run For CASA of Carson City starts at 8:30 a.m. at Longview Park off King Street. Participation in the 5K course is free, but there will be large buckets at the beginning and end of the race for donations, spare change, checks and large bills. The 1.25 mile Kids Run/Walk/Bike for ages 10 and younger will start immediately following the 5K. Ronald McDonald is participating.
• Ride the Virginia & Truckee Excursion Train on Memorial Day weekend. The 2010 season of diesel train excursions between Virginia City and Gold Hill starts on Saturday. There are departures all day from the depot at F Street and Washington in Virginia City, from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Adult tickets are $9, children 5 to 12 are $5, kids under 5 free. An all day pass is $15. For more information, call 847-0380. (This is an excursion train, not the V&T that runs round trips all the way to Carson City.)
• The Virginia & Truckee Railroad, which opens the season Saturday with a round-trip ride from Carson City’s Eastgate siding to Virginia City and back. Rides continue Sunday and Monday. The Eastgate Siding is on Flint Drive off U.S. Highway 50 East. Tickets for the V&T Railroad are available online at visitcarsoncity.com or call 800-NEVADA-1. Round trips on the diesel train cost $29 adults, $25 seniors and $20 children.
• Steam train rides at the Nevada State Railroad Museum, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. three days of steam train rides. Take the 20-minute ride around the museum in an authentic train car pulled by V&T locomotive No. 25. On Memorial Day all active military and veterans ride free. Purchase tickets at the Wabuska Station. No credit cards. 775-687-6953
• Heavenly Mountain Resort will operate the gondola 10 a.m.-4 p.m., for sightseeing, tubing and sledding in South Lake Tahoe.
• Memorial Day service set for Lone Mountain Cemetery, 1044 Beverly Drive, Carson City at 1 p.m. Monday. All are welcome to attend. For more information, call 887-2111.
• Carson City’s Marine Corps League, along with Carson City High School Navy JROTC will present a Memorial Day ceremony with Honor Guard at 10:30 a.m. at Stewart Indian Cemetery. The public is invited to attend. For more information, call 775-790-0260.
• In celebration of Memorial Day and the first anniversary of Evergreen Gene’s, the shop will host a free barbecue at noon-
3 p.m. at 1811 N. Carson St. Veterans will receive 25 percent off all purchases that day. Hot dogs, hamburgers, Italian sausage, potato salad and other fixings will be served. For more information, call 882-1807.