Chief: Electrical problem started Sutro fire | NevadaAppeal.com

Chief: Electrical problem started Sutro fire

Staff reports

An electrical fire is to blame for a blaze on South Sutro Terrace that claimed the life of a family pet and destroyed the home, an official said Wednesday.

Investigators have determined the fire started inside an electrical junction box on the wall adjoining the garage to the home, said Carson City Fire Chief Stacey Giomi.

“It then ignited some stored material there, clothing and paint cans, and that obviously contributed to the fire,” he said.

Crews were able to contain the majority of the fire damage to the single-car garage. The roof was heavily damaged over the kitchen, and what wasn’t destroyed by flames was affected by water and smoke.

A vehicle in the garage was also destroyed. Giomi estimated the damage at $340,000, and said the home is unlivable.