City seeks easier way to give emergency care to family |

City seeks easier way to give emergency care to family

Jill Lufrano

Carson City is proposing an easier way for residents who find themselves in a pinch to care for sick relatives by setting them up in a RV next to their own home.

By taking a few steps, residents can quickly set up Mother-in-law with a temporary accommodation on their lot for a year or longer – as long as the city gets a doctor’s note.

“(The rules would apply in case,) for whatever reason, if somebody needs to be close by, and it’s not a very big house and they want to provide care for their mother, and at the same time want a little space,” said Walt Sullivan, director of community planning and development.

The city receives few requests for the temporary housing, but is seeking to streamline the permit process, Sullivan said. Currently, residents need to apply for a special-use permit, which could take several weeks and approvals from the Planning Commission.

With the proposed changes to the city ordinance, applicants simply need to provide the city with a doctor’s note stating the person needs care. The city will require the resident to screen the motor home from neighbors and the street, and will send out a notice to neighbors living on either side of the property for their comments.

Any hookups would need to be done in compliance with health and building departments, and the situation will be reviewed annually by city staff. A doctor’s note is also required to be submitted each year.

The whole process could be done by city staff in as quickly as 10 days, Sullivan said. If the application is denied, the applicant can appeal to the Board of Supervisors.

Supervisors will consider final approval of the plan May 20.

Contact Jill Lufrano at or 881-1217.