Coldest weather 4 years headed for much of Nevada
December 4, 2013
RENO — Much of Nevada is bracing for its coldest weather in four years, with temperatures forecast to drop as low as minus-5 degrees early Thursday in Reno.
Record or near-record lows are expected across much of Northern Nevada, with sub-freezing temperatures as far south as Las Vegas.
A threat of snow returns to Northern Nevada Friday evening, as much as a foot in the Sierra's upper elevations. The storm is expected to impact Friday evening commuter traffic. Behind the system, extremelycold temperatures are expected Sunday morning. Temperatures at the higher elevations may drop close to minus-20.
In eastern Nevada, temperatures dropped below zero early Wednesday in White Pine County along the Utah line, where wind chills are expected from minus-30 to minus-40.
Lows on the Las Vegas Strip should dip into the mid-20s early Thursday, with highs not much above 40 until Saturday.
Trending In: Local
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand