Construction crew causes gas leak | NevadaAppeal.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Construction crew causes gas leak

by Maggie O'Neill

MINDEN – Gas officials checked neighboring homes for natural gas after a backhoe hit a gas line at 10:08 a.m. Tuesday on Fourth Street.

Workers for V&C Construction continued operations under the watch of Southwest Gas Co. and the East Fork Fire and Paramedic Districts after a backhoe hit a 2-inch gas line causing a leak and an invisible gas cloud that reportedly reached to County Road.

No one was injured in the incident.

About an hour after the incident, more than a half dozen construction workers worked on a ditch.

A pipe was being lifted nearby and a backhoe, at the end of the three-foot ditch, transferred dirt.

A gas company official kept a close eye on operation. He withheld his name, but said the leak was small and under control.

No homes lost gas service in the incident, said Deputy Fire Chief Dave Drew.

A leak puts out a “lot of gas” that rises upward and can collect in structures, he said.

Gas officials checked nearby homes for the presence of gas and reportedly found no gas in any of them.

The 1500 block of Fourth Street continued to be closed between County Road and Mono Avenue.