Couple named in fatal Wellington crash
September 19, 2007
The names of a husband and wife killed in a traffic accident in Wellington earlier this week were released Wednesday.
Delores Straw Rogers, 78, and Harold Clay Rogers, 81, both of Yerington, and Donald Dewayne Sloan, 49, of Hilmar, Calif., were pronounced dead at the scene of the 8:20 p.m. accident Monday on State Route 208, one mile west of Smith Valley.
According to Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Scott Simon, Jason Fuller, 37, also of Yerington, was eastbound on State Route 208 in a tractor trailer carrying an estimated 24 bales of hay, when he lost control in a turn. The van, driven by Sloan and carrying Delores and Harold Rogers was westbound.
The van struck the falling hay, estimated between 800 to 1,000 pounds per bale, and the van was also crushed by the hay.
“It only would take one thousand-pound bale to hit the top of that van to collapse the roof,” Simon said.
Fuller was not injured in the crash, however, he was transported to the South Lyon Medical Center, were he submitted to a voluntary blood test. Simon said alcohol and or drugs are not suspected in the crash.
Trending In: Local
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson City lawyer finalist for judicial vacancy
- Carson City sets aside site for affordable housing