Dam at Little Washoe Lake could breach
June 18, 2018
For the latest update, go here.
Areas along Steamboat Creek and Ditch in Pleasant Valley could be flooded if Washoe Lake Dam gives way.
According to an emergency alert issued by Washoe County, the Nevada Division of Water Resources determined that Washoe Lake Dam could potentially breach.
Downstream communities along old Highway 395 could see flooding. The dam backs up Little Washoe Lake. Both it and Washoe Lake are diverted by the dam. Old Highway 395 is currently closed.
According to Washoe county, the dam is showing signs of compromise and residents are being asked to prepare to evacuate.
Recommended Stories For You
The alert was issued on Monday afternoon. Washoe is setting up sandbag locations.
Trending In: Local
- A football game for the ages: Fallon, Truckee battle for 3A supremacy
- Battle Born Memorial damaged by teens on bikes, scooters
- Felony drug arrest at hardware store, Carson City Sheriff’s Office says
- Supervisors reinstate traffic enforcement program
- Ignition interlock now required for all Nevada DUI arrests