DNA links suspect to Brianna Denison murder
November 26, 2008
DNA evidence collected from James Biela linked him to the murder of Brianna Denison on Jan. 28 as well as a sexual assault victim the previous month, Reno police announced in a press conference Wednesday morning.
Biela, 27, of Sparks, was arrested Tuesday night and booked on suspicion of kidnapping, murder and sexual assault.
Denison was abducted before dawn on Jan. 20 as she slept on the couch at a home near the University of Nevada, Reno.
According to Reno Police Chief Michael Pohlman, a tip to Secret Witness on Nov. 1 led to Biela’s arrest.
Poehlman said in the press conference that Biela’s girlfriend found a pair of underwear in his truck and told her friend about it.
The friend contacted police who questioned the girlfriend. She agreed to allow detectives to test the DNA of her and Biela’s 4-year-old child, Poehlman said.
Recommended Stories For You
When a match was determined, Biela was arrested in the 1300 block of Corporate Boulevard in Reno and took a sample of his DNA.
Officials said there is no known prior relationship between Biela and Denison or any other victims.
Trending In: Local
- Chicago-flavor restaurant coming to Carson City
- NV Energy CEO criticizes Energy Choice amendment
- 2018 Primary Election guide: Justice of the Supreme Court, Seat C
- Cardoza pleads guilty to second-degree murder in 2013 Carson City case
- Arrest for using cell phone while driving, says Carson City Sheriff’s Office