Dune buggy driver killed in Douglas County accident
November 22, 2012
The 19-year-old driver of a dune buggy was killed in a head-on collision with a pickup truck Thursday on a backcountry road in Douglas County.
According to a press release from Sheriff’s Sgt. Pat Brooks, the dune buggy driver was riding on Sunrise Pass Road in the Pinenut Mountains when his vehicle slid out of control on the dirt road and drifted into the path of the oncoming truck.
He says the dune buggy driver was driving at a high rate of speed when the accident occurred near Juniper Valley Road behind the Johnson Lane subdivision at 9:30 a.m. Thanksgiving morning.
The driver, whose name wasn’t immediately released, was pronounced dead at the scene. A passenger in the dune buggy was taken to a Reno hospital with serious injuries.
The driver and a passenger in the truck were uninjured.
Trending In: Local
- Seaside, California, man dies while skiing at Lake Tahoe
- Bill would eliminate death penalty in Nevada
- Public Utilities Commission: Nevada doesn’t get advance notice of plutonium shipments
- Revamped Carson City theater holds 2 opening nights
- Apple finishes Reno warehouse, announces Northern Nevada expansion