Ely inmate murdered
December 28, 2006
An Ely State Prison inmate died early Thursday, the victim of an assault by another inmate.
Prison officials said inmate Anthony Beltran suffered what prison officials described as “critical chest wounds.”
Prison staff were unable to keep him alive and he was pronounced dead at the prison.
Prison officials have a suspect in mind but had not released the inmate’s name as of Thursday. The office of the Inspector General and the White Pine Sheriff’s Department are handling the investigation.
Beltran, 33, was sent to prison in January by a Clark County judge. He was convicted of kidnapping, eight counts of sexual assault, burglary, robbery and 10 deadly weapon enhancement counts. The sexual assault counts each carry a life sentence as does kidnapping and, in Beltran’s case, were all applied consecutively.
Trending In: Local
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand