Family wanders off Tahoe Rim Trail, found in hour
September 1, 2002
According to Tod Vinger of Washoe County Search and Rescue, the family of six, including two parents and four children between the ages of 8 and 12, followed the Tahoe Rim Trail from Tahoe Meadows, just off the Mount Rose Highway.
One child, a 10-year-old, wandered off and the group circled back. The 10-year-old was found quickly, but the family became disoriented and couldn’t find their way.
Using the cell phone they carried, they called authorities at about 3:20 p.m. and by 4 p.m., about 20 members of Washoe County Search and Rescue and the Washoe Sheriff’s Hasty Team responded, combing the area by foot. Two members of the North Lake Tahoe Fire Station joined the search and the group was located at about 4:30 p.m. at the top of Diamond Peak Ski Resort, about half an hour after the search began.
Trending In: Local
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’