Federal funds available to Sheriff’s Department | NevadaAppeal.com

Federal funds available to Sheriff’s Department

Terri Harber
Appeal Staff Writer

The Carson City Sheriff’s Department is slated to receive a nearly $25,000 federal grant to fund a variety of functions.

The Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant helps law enforcement agencies by providing funds for crime prevention and control, administration of justice, and to assist crime victims.

“All of the federal money is critical to us,” said Sheriff Kenny Furlong. It provides the department with the ability to train and staff for “things beyond our capabilities.”

This grant provides $7,525 for training seven employees to better use the CrimeView Analysis Mapping System.

Maps that display locations where crimes or groups of similar crimes have occurred can be used to help direct patrols to places they are most needed.

These maps also can help departments examine crime trends and aid in solving cases, Furlong said.

Departments in Las Vegas and Reno also possess this type of crime-mapping technology. Carson now uses it for activities that aren’t time-sensitive.

The department still doesn’t have all of the components. It was initially approved by the supervisors for purchase in 2003.

Other programs where the money will go include:

— $6,500 for Drug Abuse Resistance Education materials, such as workbooks, supplies, certificates and awards

— $3,500 for crime prevention awareness supplies

— $800 for National Night Out education materials

— $500 for the Crisis Negotiation Team to buy a new telephone to communicate with people who are barricaded.

The Board of Supervisors will be asked during their Thursday morning meeting to accept the money.

If you go

What: Carson City Board of Supervisors meeting

When: 8:30 a.m. Thursday

Where: Sierra Room, Community Center, 851 E. William St.

Information: No discussion about this issue is expected. The supervisors will accept the funds.

• Contact reporter Terri Harber at tharber @nevadaappeal.com or 882-2111, ext. 215.