Final preparations under way for Carson City’s birthday celebration
August 10, 2008
The Carson City Sesquicentennial Committee, also known as CC150, requires citizen support to ensure the city’s 150th birthday celebration is an event enjoyed by all.
“The CC150 committee is comprised of community volunteers and there is really no budget for the event,” said Maxine Nietz, event chairwoman. “We are asking our citizens to donate whatever they can. Every dollar will help.”
The CC150 was the vision of former Nevada Appeal Publisher John DiMambro, who in November 2007 brought heads of the community together to coordinate one big, old-fashioned celebration.
“It is coming together very well, there has been some sponsorship and donations, but more money is needed to cover the costs, which are substantial,” Nietz said.
The Carson Nugget parking lot will be the main venue with a chili cookoff, vendors, entertainment, music, food, car show, exhibits and an historic birthday cake from Wal-Mart featuring 2008 individual cupcakes.
Other venues include:
Recommended Stories For You
• The Brewery Arts Center, in conjunction with their Jazz and Beyond Music Festival, is offering free admission to anyone who presents a commemorative medallion, which will be minted that day at the Nevada State Museum.
• The Nevada State Museum also will host an array of children’s interactive activities from gold panning to a treasure chest, and visits from Mark Twain and Abe Lincoln.
• The Northern Nevada Children’s Museum conducts its annual Children’s Carnival, which features a variety of activities and vendors. Proceeds from that venue benefit the Children’s Museum.
Chili cookoff contestants, vendors and auction items are still sought. Vendor booth rentals cost $35 and cookoff entry fees cost $20. Forms can be found online at http://www.eventsnevada.com by clicking on the Sesquicentennial listing. In the evening, the Karson Kruzers will host a car show and street dance. For entry information, contact Loretta Marcin, 883-0927. Purple Wave will conduct the auction.
All remaining proceeds will be divided equally and given to the community museums who support, protect and display state and local history.
How you can help
Mail checks payable to CC150 to:
P.O. Box 4156
Carson City, NV 89702
To arrange auction item pick-up contact Nietz at (775) 887-1294 or Melodious Creations at (775) 841-7423.
Bring cash, checks or auction items to:
Carson City Chamber of Commerce
1900 S. Carson St., Ste. 200, Carson City
Find out more
For a schedule of CC150 activities and events pickup the Nevada Appeal or visit these Web sites:
eventsnevada.com or melodiouscreations.com.s
Trending In: Local
- Chicago-flavor restaurant coming to Carson City
- NV Energy CEO criticizes Energy Choice amendment
- Cardoza pleads guilty to second-degree murder in 2013 Carson City case
- 2018 Primary Election guide: Justice of the Supreme Court, Seat C
- Arrest for using cell phone while driving, says Carson City Sheriff’s Office