Fire damages Carson City home |

Fire damages Carson City home

by Susie Vasquez, Appeal Staff Writer
Carson City firefighters extinguished an attic fire on Evans Street Thursday morning. A contractor working in the home, accidentally ignited insulation materials which then spread into the attic.

A fire in an upstairs bathroom left one man slightly injured and caused about $20,000 in damage to a house at 1513 Evan St. in Carson City.

Carson City Batallion Chief Stacey Giomi said a contractor was soldering some copper pipes in one of the upstairs bathrooms with a small hand torch when the paper backing on the insulation caught fire, spreading between the walls and into the attic.

The contractor, employed with Finch Construction, burned his hand. Both bathrooms and the attic space were damaged, but firefighters were able to prevent extensive damage to the bedrooms and the rest of house. According to Giomi, the first floor incurred some limited smoke damage.

“It was just material stuff,” said homeowner Dave Hanson. ” The dogs and my family are out safely and that’s all I care about.”

Two engines, two rescue units and a command officer responded to the 9:30 a.m. blaze, which was under control by 9:42 a.m.