Fire starts in chimney of Johnson Lane home | NevadaAppeal.com

Fire starts in chimney of Johnson Lane home

Staff Reports

MINDEN – A fire broke out in the chimney of a Johnson Lane home shortly after 9 p.m.Monday night. Volunteer firefighters responded to the scene after receiving a call from renters at 1579 Downs Street, who reported that the wall behind the chimney where the wood-burning stove was located felt hot. According to Terry Taylor, captain and investigator for the East Fork Fire Department, the caller said that they had just started a fire in the stove and had noticed that the wall was getting extremely hot. Firefighters arrived within minutes of the call and found the rear roof of the 1,700-square-foot home burning.

“When we arrived the back of the house was in flames,” Taylor said.

Firefighters from five units were dispatched with tankers and crews to the home, and as of 9:45 flames burned from several specific locations on the roof of the two-story home and thick smoke rolled across the street. Firefighters moved equipment and hoses into place and doused the flames.

The renters refused to give their name. A state fire marshal had been called into investigate