Five injured in collision near Edmonds crosswalk
August 30, 2005
Five people were injured Tuesday when a driver slammed into the rear of two vehicles stopped to allow children to cross Edmonds Drive when middle school let out.
Deputy Wayne Wheeler said Ricardo Antonio Olguin, 23, was speeding northbound in the 35 mph zone on Edmonds Drive after going through the roundabout, when he failed to see the vehicles in front of him had stopped at the crosswalk at Butti Road.
The crosswalk is heavily used by Eagle Valley Middle School students as part of a route established by city and school officials when bus service to the area was canceled last year.
Witness David Ornellas said he was waiting to enter the roundabout about 3 p.m., when Olguin passed him and he followed.
“He just took off,” Ornellas said. “He pulled away from me.”
Olguin’s Honda Civic slammed into the back of a Dodge Caravan carrying Michael Ray Labranch, his wife and daughter, Wheeler said.
Recommended Stories For You
Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Mark Zacha said evidence at the scene suggests Olguin didn’t attempt to break.
“There was nothing prior,” he said.
The impact sent the Caravan into a Ford Ranger pickup carrying Monte Smith, 62, his wife Connie Smith and their 10-year-old grandson Taylor Barth.
“Just for a second, my husband was afraid he was going to hit the kids in the crosswalk,” Connie Smith said. She said when the collision happened a group of children and the crossing guard were directly in front of the Smith vehicle.
Taylor, who was sitting in the backseat of the extended cab, struck his head on the window. He was taken by ambulance to Carson-Tahoe Hospital.
Labranch, his wife and daughter were also transported by ambulance to Carson-Tahoe Hospital.
Wheeler said Olguin suffered a head injury and was taken by Care Flight to Washoe Medical Center.
“We’ve asked the public to please slow down on Edmonds. The schools here are opened. Some people just don’t pay attention,” said Sheriff Kenny Furlong.
Wheeler said Olguin will likely be cited to failure to use due care among other charges.
n Contact reporter F.T. Norton at email@example.com or 881-1213.
Trending In: Local
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand