Food for Thought donations sought for fundraiser
Food for Thought, a local nonprofit that discreetly provides a bag of food each week for children in need, is looking for donations for its annual fundraiser.
Tickets for the May 22 Coconuts for Kids Luau at the Governor’s Mansion go on sale next week at the Carson City Chamber of Commerce and at the Food For Thought warehouse. Tickets are $50 each.
The program serves nearly 600 children at 10 area schools.
Here is a list of items the organization is looking for to fill gift baskets. All other donations are welcome as well.
• Hawaiian-themed, non food dining items to include in a luau dining package of gifts.
• High-end snack foods, candies, cookies, cheese/-cracker sets for a variety of baskets from coffee to movie to picnic themes.
• Beach towels, lotion, sun visor, any beach type items
• A women’s tool set to include in a women’s garden basket.
• Picnic items such as tablecloths, napkins, wine, bottle opener, picnic sets, etc. for a picnic theme.
• BBQ utensils, man’s apron, other BBQ-theme items to accompany a BBQ grill already donated.
• A Hibachi.
• Gift certificates from Dream Dinners to round out a Dream Dinner-theme
• All items that may appeal to men (Father’s Day is just a few short weeks after our event) such as fishing equipment, fishing tackle, horseshoes, sporting tickets, etc.
• CDs, movies, vinyl albums (the only non-new thing we seek!) that would fit into a Grateful Dead theme gift basket.
• Hawaiian cookies, candies, nuts, etc. to accompany an island basket theme.
• Car-related items such as high quality wax, driving gloves, car washes, etc. to accompany a very high-quality used car a local business will be donating.
• Our wish list also includes a Hawaiian trip. Someone you know may be willing to donate a time share or airfare so that we can create a Hawaiian vacation to auction.
• Weekend getaways.
• A motor home rental from a motor home sales and rental company.
• Private dinners are often an attractive auction item. If you are an awesome host and cook or simply wildly entertaining, this might be something to consider.