Former softball official faces reduced charge | NevadaAppeal.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Former softball official faces reduced charge

Staff reports

MINDEN – A former youth softball association president, who allegedly took $41,000 from players, will face a reduced charge after repaying more than half of the money.

Former Carson Valley Girls Softball Association president Dennis Buckley, 53, appeared in East Fork Justice Court on Wednesday.

He was ordered held to Douglas District Court, where he is scheduled to appear Sept. 4, where he will face a reduced charge of gross misdemeanor theft, said his attorney Nathan Tod Young.

Buckley allegedly embezzled more than $41,000 from the softball association between 1997 and 2000. He has repaid $25,000.

Neil Hill, association president, said earlier this week that Buckley took “responsibility” and told the board about the missing funds.

After consulting an attorney, the board was told to audit its books and give the results to the district attorney.

Young said Wednesday during court the amount of owed restitution is unknown.

Wednesday, Buckley waived his right to a preliminary hearing, which allowed the matter to go to district court.

Hill said the association’s board of directors has made changes in its policies and procedures regarding the handling of league funds “to ensure this won’t happen in the future.”

According to a sheriff’s office report, the discrepancy surfaced when Hill became president and discovered $15,000 in the league’s account.

Because the association is a non-profit organization, the money raised his suspicions, the report stated.