Free snowshoe hikes along Tahoe Rim Trail
The Tahoe Rim Trail Association is offering free, guided snowshoe treks every Saturday through the end of March.
The snowshoe hikes are great for all abilities, shorter hikes are appropriate for kids.
Hikes planned for January include:
• Jan. 8: National Winter Trails Day – Enjoy a guided hike to Castle Rock or participate in a whole day of winter activities in Tahoe Meadows. (See story above for more details.)
• Jan. 15: Snowshoe season officially begins – The first snowshoe trek of the season will be a gentle, three-mile tour to Page Meadows outside of Tahoe City.
• Jan. 19: TRTA members full moon hike – Not a member of the TRTA? This is a great opportunity to join, and enjoy a moonlit tromp through the Tahoe Meadows. No flashlights are needed on this short hike, because full moon shines brightly on the snow, guiding the way.
• Jan. 22: Castle Rock – An easy, four-mile trek to Castle Rock.
• Jan. 29: Martis Peak – A moderate, eight-mile trek to Martis Peak, located above King’s Beach on the North Shore.
Participants must register in advance. Contact the TRTA office at 775-298-0012 or by e-mailing programs@tahoe rimtrail.org.
For more information, visit the Tahoe Rim Trail Association website at http://www.tahoerimtrail.org.