Freezer cause of Rawhide blaze
An overheating freezer is to blame for a fire that destroyed an East Carson City home on Saturday, leaving a family without their home and possessions, authorities said Tuesday.
Battalion Chief Richard Chrzanowski of the Carson City Fire Department said an investigation revealed a chest freezer without proper ventilation had overheated, “which ignited nearby combustibles and then the structure,” he said.
Danielle Conway and her children Mitchell, 13, and Kyra, 7, weren’t home at the time of the blaze. The single-story house built in 1966 has been owned by Conway’s mother, Norma — a former dance instructor — for the past 30 years.
“We’ve pretty much lost everything,” said Danielle Conway about the fire that claimed the life of their 11-year-old parrot Kirby and gutted the Rawhide Way home. “It started in the garage behind the door and went through the kitchen into the living room and through the house.”
Furniture, clothing, appliances and kitchenware were all lost, she said.
“My goodness, it’s just a disaster,” said Norma Conway.
“It’s a little overwhelming when you see 30 years of stuff sitting in the driveway.”
An insurance adjuster was at the home Tuesday afternoon to assess the damage the Fire Department estimated at $130,000.
The family plans to stay with relatives until they can find a rental to live in while the house is rebuilt.
Conway’s neighbor Trisha Zinda said she is willing to collect donations of furniture or money for Conway.
She spent the afternoon calling local businesses to see if they’d be willing to donate gift certificates to Conway and the children for clothing. Most of the clothing that was salvaged needs intensive cleaning before its wearable. Clothes are especially needed for the children, Mitchell, a Carson Middle School student, and Kyra, a Bordewich Bray first-grader, who are still attending classes amid the confusion.
Kyra wears a size 7 in clothes and size 13 shoes. Mitchell wears size 14 pants and a medium shirt. Danielle wears a size 16-18 and size 9 shoes.
“We’ll take whatever,” Zinda said.
Anyone wishing to donate to the Conways may contact Zinda at 888-9611 or Tricia Buckner at 841-6278.