Gaming win increases one year after attacks
A year after the terrorist attacks that put Nevada’s tourist economy in a nose dive, gaming win increased more than 6 percent in September statewide and locally.
Win was up 7.5 percent on the Las Vegas Strip and 8.12 percent in Clark County as a whole.
Total statewide win was $810.1 million.
But Gaming Control Board Analyst Frank Streshley said that is in comparison to a 3.1 percent drop in gaming win a year ago because of Sept. 11, 2001.
He said the statewide gain would have been even better except that baccarat win was down 31.7 percent. Excluding baccarat, the statewide increase would have been 8.4 percent.
A special event — the De La Hoya-Vargas fight — in Las Vegas helped draw tourists in September .
Statewide, the bulk of the increase was in slots — 8.46 percent compared with 1.65 percent for game and table winnings.
Other parts of the state recorded solid increases as well. South Lake Tahoe casinos had a $33.5 million total win — a 4.5 percent increase over last year. Unlike Las Vegas, all of that increase came from game and table play which reported a 16.1 percent increase in winnings while slot win was essentially flat.
The Carson Valley area, which includes the capital as well as valley portions of Douglas County, increased winnings 7 percent to $8.99 million. Slot win was up 6.7 percent in the capital while game and table win increased 9.6 percent.
That is two months of increases — August winnings went up nearly 2 percent — following three of decline.
“We’re pretty happy with the results,” said Streshley.