Gardnerville search for human remains comes up empty
August 9, 2018
GARDNERVILLE — Authorities in Nevada have completed a cold-case search without finding any human remains or evidence at the property of a man who was stabbed to death last summer after serving time in a California prison for a murder conviction.
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office said Thursday deputies found nothing of interest after a multi-day search at the ex-home of Kenneth Pestana in Gardnerville.
Pestana was convicted of second-degree murder in 1973 and later lived in Gardnerville before moving to Northern California.
A longtime acquaintance, 32-year-old Joseph Ward, was arrested in Carson City on murder charges last June a day after Pestana's body was found near Ward's cabin northeast of Nevada City, California.
Deputies say a confidential informant's tip prompted the search for human remains but no evidence was recovered and the scene has been cleared.
Trending In: Local
- Bill would eliminate death penalty in Nevada
- Revamped Carson City theater holds 2 opening nights
- Apple finishes Reno warehouse, announces Northern Nevada expansion
- Public Utilities Commission: Nevada doesn’t get advance notice of plutonium shipments
- Seaside, California, man dies while skiing at Lake Tahoe