Get FIt: Kaia’s Fit Tip of the Week
What’s all the buzz about core strength?
We all know core or ab exercises are good for us, but why? I could go on and on about how a six-pack will not only make you feel sexy, but keep you out of the ER and make you a better all-around athlete.
And yes we are all athletes. Some of you just don’t know it yet.
It doesn’t matter if you are carrying the groceries into the house, toting kids around on your hip or playing any sport, all physical activities depend on stable core muscles.
Having a strong core makes life easier and you will be less likely to have back-related pain. Statistics show that 85 percent of adults suffer from back-related pain at some point in their life.
Weak core muscles leave you vulnerable to back injuries, poor posture and muscle related injuries.
Challenge of the week: Every morning and every night, do three sets of 12 sit-ups and in one week you will see the difference.
How the sit-ups pays off:
1. Balance and stability
2. Building muscles will in turn burn more calories
3. Tones your pelvis, lower back, hips and abdomen
4. Increases muscular strength
5. Leads to overall better posture, which lends to a leaner look
6. Improves range of motion
The basic sit-up
• Lie on your back, hands behind your head, elbows wide
• Lifting your upper body off the floor with your abdominal muscles
• Don’t pull on your neck. Make your tummy do the work
• Try lifting your torso 45 degrees off the floor
Here are a few variations that can spice up your routine:
• Bicycle Crunches: Lie on your back, hands behind head, legs in a 90 degree position. Activate the abdominals by taking your right elbow across the body meeting with the left knee.
Go back to start position and repeat, alternating right and left until all repetitions have been performed.
• Superman arch ups: Lie on your stomach and draw your belly button toward your spine to tighten your abs. Keep your legs straight, arms stretched out over your head, and palms facing down.
Arch your back and raise your arms and legs. Hold for 10 seconds and slowly lower to the floor.
Core exercises can be a main component to help you reach your fitness goals. Remembering aerobic exercise and muscular fitness are the primary elements of most fitness programs.
– Submitted by Nikki Warren, owner of Kaia F.I.T, kaiafit.com.
Secret Witness turns 40 this year – and it’s helped solve many of Northern Nevada’s most violent crimes
Secret Witness tips have played a pivotal role in solving some of the most violent crimes the greater Northern Nevada region has seen. To date, Secret Witness has paid out more than $300,000 in rewards to anonymous tipsters. Rewards range from $50 (graffiti/tagging) to $1,500 (armed robbery) to $2,500 (murder).