Get Healthy: 4th of July is no picnic for pets |

Get Healthy: 4th of July is no picnic for pets

Cortney Bloomer
Carson City Health and Human Services

Carson City Health and Human Services

Where: 900 E. Long St., Carson City

Phone: 775-887-2195

Clinic hours: Monday-Wednesday and Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., by appointment. Well-child visits are Mondays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Men’s clinic is on Mondays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Call for an appointment: 775-887-2195. Thursday is immunization day. No appointment is needed from 8:30-11:30 a.m. and 1-4:30 p.m.

Douglas County Community Health

1538 U.S. Highway 395 N. (corner of Spruce Street and Cemetery Lane)

Phone: 775-782-9038

Clinic hours: Monday 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., Tuesday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday is immunization day from 1-4:30 p.m. No appointment is needed.

This column appears in the Nevada Appeal Wednesday health pages. It addresses topics related to the health of our community.

The rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air… fireworks seem a fitting tribute to celebrate the birth of our great nation. This Friday, July 4, Americans across our great land will celebrate Independence Day with picnics, barbecues, and, of course, fireworks. Here in Carson City, residents will again be dazzled by the annual display put on by RSVP in Mills Park. However, to a pet — unaware of the festive occasion — it really does seem like a military bombardment is taking place.

Dogs find fireworks to be unfamiliar, loud and possibly frightening. While some pets take all the commotion in stride, some become nervous and destructive, and still others panic and run away.

Each year, the number of animals recovered by Carson City Animal Services during July 4 and July 5 rises dramatically.

During a normal day, about three dogs are brought in to Animal Services; last year over the holiday, there were eight. These were the lucky ones who were found and returned home.

As a pet owner, you can help keep your animal feeling safe and secure, despite the fireworks.

First, make sure your pet is kept indoors so they cannot escape from your yard in a panic.

Second, provide them with items, such as a familiar toy or blanket, that helps them feel secure. If your pet is particularly nervous around loud noises, some products, such as ThunderShirt, can be purchased at many pet supply stores and may help relieve anxiety when used properly. For the most panicky pets, a visit to the vet may be necessary to obtain medication to help them remain calm. Your veterinarian can help you decide if this is the best option for your pet.

Carson City Animal Services hopes your pet will stay safe and sound at home this July 4, but if your furry friend should get loose, there is a new system in place to help you find your pet. Visit and click on the “Lost a pet?” tab at the top of the page. All the animals that have been recovered are listed here, and the listing is accurate and up-to-date. You can check here to see if your animal is at Animal Services.

There’s also a place to register your lost pet on this page, or to report a found pet.

The shelter will be open on Saturday, July 5, for adoptions and for people to reclaim lost pets.

Finally, make sure your pet is licensed. City ordinance requires every person must possess a current license for each dog they own over the age of three months. A current rabies vaccination is required to obtain a license for your dog.

If you are interested in adopting a pet, visit our Animal Services office on Butti Way, or look online at to see a list of adoptable pets at the shelter.

For more information about Health Department services, check out our website at or visit us at