Giving, finding help for holidays
If your group or business is doing something to help the community during the holidays, e-mail the information to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line Holiday Help, to be included in this listing.
• Share Your Holiday Food Drive: This annual food drive sustains the food pantry at Advocated to End Domestic Violence shelter for the winter months.
Donations of canned goods, dry goods, detergents, paper products, and/or cash can be dropped off at the Governor’s Mansion, 600 N. Mountain St., 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Dec. 10. Volunteers also are needed throughout the day. For more information, call 883-7654.
• “Friends to All” Senior Santa Visits: Santa and volunteers will visit seniors in their homes to deliver gifts. To make a monetary donation, make checks payable to Retired Senior Volunteer Program with a memo “Friends to All” and send it to Friends to All, c/o Fountainhead Associates, 312 W. Fourth St., Carson City, NV 89703. They also can use donations such as packaged food items, gift certificates, puzzle books, slipper socks, etc. For more information, call 884-0180.
• Angel Trees: The Salvation Army will have angel trees around town for those who want to help a child have a merry Christmas. Toys also can be dropped off at the Salvation Army office, 661 Colorado St. Call 887-9120.
• Angel Tree locations: The Carson Nugget and Danny’s Ironwood Grill in Minden are collecting new, unwrapped gifts for more than 200 foster care children in Carson, Douglas, Lyon and Churchill counties.
Bring unwrapped gifts directly to the Carson Nugget and receive a $10 free-play coupon, or just drop your gift off at Danny’s Ironwood Grill, 1776 Highway 395 North. For more information, call 775-782-3313.
• DeBug Computer, Inc. is collecting canned goods for the Evelyn Mount Community Outreach Food Drive. Offices are at 729 N. Carson St., 775-883-3630, and 1659 Highway 395 Suite C, Minden, 775-782-0303.
• The Carson City Host Lions are selling See’s candy at the Carson Mall, Raley’s and Costco. The proceeds provide eyeglasses and exams for Carson City youths and a scholarship for a Carson High student.
At the Christmas party at Grandma Hattie’s on the Dec. 20, they will collect presents for the seniors at the Carson City Senior Center.
For more information or to help, call Rick Jackson at 775-885-9597.
• Sierra Surgery: The surgery center is raising money for Food for Thought and Angel Tree for all the Carson City elementary schools. Anyone who would like to donate to these causes can call Denise Howell at 775-283-3765.
• Holiday with a Hero: Donations are still being sought to provide $100 gift cards to 150 of the city’s neediest children. Representatives from the Carson City sheriff’s, fire and other departments will escort the children on a shopping spree to Walmart. All cash donations can be dropped off or mailed to the Carson City Sheriff’s Office, 911 E. Musser St., Carson City, 89701. Write “Holiday with a Hero” in the memo field. For more information or to also donate wrapping paper, tape or lunch, contact Detective Dena Lacy at 887-2020 ext. 41405 or Detective Daniel Gonzales at ext. 41407.
• Drop-off locations for Toys for Tots: Drop off new, unwrapped toys at the following Carson City locations: B’Sghetti’s; Bella Fiore Wines; Capitol City Loans; Carson City Harley-Davidson; CGI Manufacturing; Carson City Library; Carson High School; Carson Toyota; Carson Valley Inn; Children’s Museum; Chili’s; City National Bank; Carson Tahoe Regional Medical Center; Decades; Department of Transporta-tion; Christmas Store; Eagle Valley Middle School; Casino Fandango; Coleman & Company Jewelers; Gold’s Gym; Home Depot; Chromalloy; Jacks Valley School; Jenny Craig; Keva Juice; Lake Side Properties; Doctor Smash Designs; Les Schwab; Marines Recruiting Office; Massage Envy; Raley’s in Douglas County; Rite Aide in Douglas County; Evergreen Gene’s; Sierra Gifts; Nevada State Railroad Museum; NW Martial Arts; Red’s Old 395; Snap On Tools; Timbers; Two Guys From Italy in Douglas County; United Blood Services; UPS; Walmart; WNC Child Care Center; Wild for Smiles.
• Jacksons Stores: Through the “Give the Gift of Peace” campaign, customers can purchase a paper dove for $1. Jacksons CEO John Jackson will match contributions up to $25,000. Proceeds will go to the Jan Evans Fund for financial support for victims of domestic abuse. Tax-deductible contributions to the Nevada Network Against Domestic Violence and The Jan Evans Fund can be made online at http://www.nnadv.org
• Toys for Tots: To sign up to receive Toys for Tots, call 884-TOYS (8697) 9 a.m.-
4 p.m. Monday through Friday until Dec. 17.
• “Friends to All” Senior Santa Visits: Santa and volunteers will visit seniors in their homes to deliver gifts. If you or a home-bound senior you know would like a visit, call Gwen Pradere at 884-0180.
• Carson Nugget Free Christmas Dinner: Helping the local community, the Carson Nugget will offer a free Christmas meal 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Dec. 25, in the Garden Cafe. The culinary team will be serving slow-roasted turkey, country mashed potatoes with home-style gravy, fresh cranberry sauce, green beans almondine and dessert.