Grant could mean 3 jobs restored
Carson City’s fire department will apply for a grant to replace three of the six fire suppression positions lost during this year’s budget cuts, but the grant provides funding for only two years.
“The feds give priority to rehires,” said Fire Chief Stacey Giomi, “and we lost six fire suppression positions.”
If awarded, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grant is expected to be $700,000.
“By examining emergency incident activity by time of day, I am proposing to hire three additional staff to work a 40-hour week, covering the busiest times for emergency responses,” Giomi said in a report to the Carson City Board of Supervisors on Thursday.
“The two-year grant period doesn’t obligate us to go beyond that,” he said.
He explained that the fiscal impact of $75,000 that is not covered by the grant represents the costs for benefits for the three positions for the full two-year period.
All the personnel who left during the budget cuts did so voluntarily, he said, so the new employees would be hired with the understanding that the job was only for two years.
He said, however, that as other permanent positions become available during the two-year period, the new hires could be moved into them with temporary help filling in for the grant-funded jobs.
In other matters Thursday, supervisors:
• Approved a contract not exceed $1.4 million to HDR Engineering for services required for the $32 million water bond project. It will be funded from various water capital fund accounts.
• Awarded a $228,952 contract to Cruz Construction Company for the Fulstone Wetlands enhancement project near Northridge Drive. Funding will come from voter-approved Quality of Life funds.
• Approved a request for a two-year extension for a tentative subdivision map for 57 acres for Combs Canyon I and for 25 acres for Combs Canyon II.
• As the Liquor and Entertainment Board, members approved Court Cardinal as the liquor manager for Casino Fandango.
• As the Liquor and Entertainment Board, members revoked the catering liquor license held by Com Productions, LLC and Robert Schmitt doing business as The Schmitt House, 4750 Highway 50 East, Ste. 1. Sheriff Furlong determined that Schmitt held a concert last month at his warehouse at 1700 Forrest Way which Schmitt advertised on Facebook as “Club Maxim,” which catered to gang activity including the Vagos Motorcycle Club and two known Carson City gangs. Furlong said the event was “a clear and imminent threat to the health, safety and welfare of the people” of Carson City.