Helping for the holidays
December 9, 2007
A few ways to lend a hand this holiday season:
Dayton Elementary Mitten Tree
Dayton Elementary School is again accepting donations for its Mitten Tree; 7:45 a.m.-4 p.m. weekdays through Tuesday. The school is at 285 Old Dayton Valley Road. Donations benefit DES students and their siblings. Call Tanya Edmondson at 246-6262 or e-mail email@example.com
Some Toys for Tots drop off locations
• There are 60 businesses in Carson City collecting toys. U.S. Marines will be at Applebees from noon to 8 p.m. today. Those who leave a donation will be entered into a drawing for a 2008 Toyota Yaris.
• Bring a toy donation to Carson City Toyota, 3659 S. Carson St., through Dec. 21 to be entered into a drawing for a 2008 Toyota Yaris.
Recommended Stories For You
• Toys for Tots will be at the new Harley-Davidson/Buell Motorcycles on Research Lane 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday. There will be a barbecue and games. KCUB/KOZZ will be in attendance.
• Toys for Tots collection drive will be at all Starbucks on Dec. 15. Bring a toy and receive a free coffee.
• Toys will be collected at the Carson City Library, 900 N. Roop St. 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, and 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Monday. Call 887-2244 or go online to: http://www.carson-city.nv.us/library/.
The organization has 860 children in Carson City, Storey and Lyon counties in need of toys this holiday season. To donate money, time or toys, call Brandy White at 297-1810.
Star Trees for Angels
Help children in foster care, foster parents and teach your own children about helping with a donation to Star Trees for Angels. Gift trees for children in foster care and foster parents can be found at:
Qdoba Mexican Restaurant, 933 Topsy Lane, Carson City
Daytona Casino, Dayton 4 Pine Cone Road, Dayton
Children’s Museum of Northern Nevada, 813 N. Carson St., Carson City
Award Zone, 222 E. Washington St., Carson City
First Christian Church, 2211 Mouton Drive, Carson City
Eagles Wings Christian Fellowship, 150 Roland, Carson City
Maui Wowi 1910 E. College Parkway, Carson City (In Irwin Financial Center behind Sonic.)
Specific gift items are needed for teens in care and include: gift cards for books or music; disposable cell phones; bikes; iPods.
Contact Susanne Wright, Department of Child and Family Services at 687-4943, ext. 240.
Angel Tree adoption program begins
The annual Angel Tree adoption program sponsored by Community Chest Inc. in Virginia City has begun.
Trees are located in the Virginia City Post Office and Hillside Elementary School and contain cutout angels as ornaments. The ornaments have wishes of people in the county in need of gifts this Christmas. The program is to provide warm winter clothing for children and adults of Storey County. Donors can take an angel off the tree, purchase the items listed, wrap them and return them to the tree. Call 847-9311.
Trending In: Local
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- 4 Northwest Nevada solar projects proposed