Keep kids entertained and educated this summer
Nevada Appeal Staff Report
Western Nevada College Community Education division is offering noncredit classes this summer for school age children. The weeklong classes will help kids to stay engaged in math and writing or explore other fun activities. Cost: $85 per session.
Classes meet Monday-Friday, July 25-29, including:
• Anime Cartooning (CFK 1069): Students will learn the Japanese art of cartooning and create characters, storylines and comic strips. For students in grades 5-8. Meets 8 a.m.-noon.
• Solar Cooking and More (CFK 1350): Solar cooking is the simplest, safest, most convenient way to cook food without consuming fuels or heating up the kitchen. Learn about solar cookers and how to cook creative and nutritious food using the sun’s energy. For students in grades 4-8. Meets 8 a.m. to noon.
• Spirit of 1776 (CFK 1845): This summer marks America’s 235th birthday. Participants learn about the Founding Fathers and historical fact and create patriotic arts and crafts. A morning and afternoon session is offered; 8 a.m. to noon or 1-5 p.m. For students in grades 3-6.
• Math Games (CFK 2307): The class is ideal for kids who like games or want practice with math. Participants learn to play fun math games using cards, dice, online resources and more. Meets 1-5 p.m. For students, grades 3-5.
• Land Sailing (CFK 2856): Provides an introduction to Blokard Land Sailing, a safe and quiet sport that can be done anywhere. This will be a small class of no more than 10 students. Meets 1-5 p.m. For students, ages 8-12.
• PADI Seal Team (CFK 2857): The Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) Seal Team offers an introduction to the world of diving and swimming. Class meets 8 a.m.-noon. For students, ages 8-12.
• Creative Writing (CFK 3200): Includes group interaction, creative exploration, fun projects and independent thinking. Students will build a writing portfolio with samples of their creative writing. Class meets 8 a.m. to noon. For students in grades 3-8.
• Guilty or Not Guilty? (CFK 1927): meeting Monday through Friday, Aug. 1-5. The class will explore the order of the courts in a unique way. Students will examine actions and evidence from fairy tales to determine whether the characters were accurately portrayed. Meets 8 a.m. to noon. For students, ages 8-12.
For information or registration, call 775-445-4268.