Man admits attempted assault of 13-year-old
Nevada Appeal News Service
A 26-year-old Gardnerville man faces up to 20 years in prison after he pleaded guilty Monday to the attempted sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl.
Donald Weber denied having sex with the girl, but said he pleaded guilty to avoid prosecution on more serious charges.
“I had sexual contact with the victim that could have led to more serious charges,” Weber said. “I was being lewd with her.”
Judge Michael Gibbons assigned a court-appointed special advocate for the girl who now lives in another state.
According to court documents, she had been removed from her biological family and was living with Weber and his wife when the incidents allegedly occurred.
The criminal complaint states the crime was committed between April 2009 and January.
Weber pleaded guilty to attempted sexual assault of a child under 14.
He is ineligible for probation.
The sentence carries a minimum of 2-5 years and a maximum of 8-20 in prison.
As part of the plea agreement, the state is to recommend 4-12 years in prison, but the judge is not bound by any recommendation.
Weber will be under lifetime supervision and mandatory registration as a sex offender.
Weber originally was charged with two counts of sexual assault against a child under 14 and lewdness with a child.
Those charges carry penalties of up to life in prison.