Man dead after deepwater dive
September 7, 2016
A 63-year-old man died while diving off Glenbrook on Monday.
Washoe County Marine 9 responded to a report of a scuba diver in distress, and found the man was undergoing CPR. The diver was transported to Glenbrook Pier where Tahoe Douglas Fire District paramedics continued life-saving efforts.
Undersheriff Paul Howell said those efforts were unsuccessful, and the victim was pronounced dead.
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office initial investigation established the victim was diving with two friends off of Glenbrook at the wreckage of the SS Tahoe in about 360 feet of water, Howell said.
"The victim and his diving companions are experienced divers and had completed a similar dive at the same wreckage the day before," Howell said. "Early in this dive the victim made an emergency ascent to the surface for unknown reasons. When he reached the surface he was unconscious and not responsive."
The identity of the victim is being withheld until the next of kin is notified. The investigation continues.
Trending In: Local
- Amid cheers, Fallon City Council bans recreational cannabis in 3-0 vote
- Grouchy’s barbershop serves more than 500 customers in first 2 months
- Man arrested on 11 counts of sexual assault, says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Author from Carson City trailer park providing hope
- Man injured in Carson City rollover crash