Man in lewdness case to be sentenced next week
Appeal Staff Writer
A Carson City man’s sentencing on a child assault charge was continued for another week after his attorney was unable to prepare due to a family emergency.
Fred Ayres, 77, pleaded guilty Jan. 10 to open and gross lewdness stemming from allegations he sexually assaulted a 7-year-old and an 8-year-old in his laundry room, bedroom and shed in July 2002. He is expected to be sentenced March 21.
Several others entered pleas or were sentenced before Judge Bill Maddox in Carson City District Court on Tuesday:
• Juan Martinez Jr., 24, pleaded not guilty to violation of the controlled substance act. According to the criminal complaint, Martinez Jr., allegedly provided alcohol and drugs to an inmate at the Northern Nevada Correctional Center between Nov. 11, 2004, and March 28, 2005. Two others are also charged in the complaint filed by the Nevada Attorney General’s Office and a trial for the three defendants is set for May.
Martinez Jr., is in custody on an unrelated attempted murder charge. He allegedly shot a Stagecoach preacher in the head during a dispute over methamphetamine. The preacher hadn’t yet taken over the congregation when the shooting occurred and has since left the area. A preliminary hearing in that case is set for March 31.
• Michael Joe Thompson, 44, pleaded guilty to possession of a controlled substance and faces 12-48 months in jail when sentenced.
• Jason Wiles, 37, pleaded guilty to third-offense drunken driving following two previous convictions of drunken driving on April 30, 2002, and Sept. 1, 2004, in Dayton. He faces at least one year in prison when sentenced.
• Jader Morales-Torres, 20, pleaded guilty to gross misdemeanor possession of a dangerous weapon and is expected to plead to misdemeanor battery in justice court. He will be sentenced May 2.
• Charles Edwards was ordered to attend a 28-day drug treatment program after he admitted to using methamphetamine while on probation on a home invasion charge.
— Contact reporter F.T. Norton at email@example.com or 881-1213.