Man still in Storey County jail in alleged abduction attempt
October 24, 2007
A California man remained in custody Wednesday, suspected of trying to abduct a Virginia City woman off of a side street in the historic mining town.
Gary E. Morgan, 24, was booked into the Storey County Jail on Saturday on suspicion of felony attempted kidnapping and two counts of child endangerment.
According to Storey County Sheriff’s Lt. Chris Parson, a 36-year-old mother was walking with her 4-year-old daughter and infant son on North E Street, two blocks east of Main Street in Virginia City, when Morgan approached her and asked her to help him with his vehicle.
The woman told police she told Morgan to call the sheriff’s department and continued walking, when he allegedly grabbed her from behind, said Parson.
“He put one arm around her waist and another arm around her mouth and was dragging her backwards,” Parson said, noting the woman was holding her daughter’s hand and her baby in her arms at the time.
Two people in a passing vehicle witnessed the alleged assault and came to the woman’s aid, said Parson. He said Morgan then ran.
Recommended Stories For You
An intoxicated Morgan was found several blocks away. According to a Storey County news release, Morgan fell and was injured while attempting to get away. He was treated and released from Carson Tahoe Regional Medical Center before being booked.
Parson said officers never located a vehicle connected with Morgan. They are unclear on how he got to Virginia City, or how long he’d been there.
• Contact reporter F.T. Norton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 881-1213.
Trending In: Local
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand