Marijuana convention canceled in Las Vegas | NevadaAppeal.com

Marijuana convention canceled in Las Vegas

The Associated Press

LAS VEGAS – A celebration of cannabis culture in Las Vegas has been canceled after concerns were raised by law enforcement officials.

Organizer Lou Woznicki says Mandalay Bay notified him that his Cannapalooza gathering in March had been canceled the day after he met with law enforcement authorities to discuss security concerns.

The event had been billed as the “largest head shop on the planet,” a 50,000-square-foot marketplace for all things related to marijuana culture.

Las Vegas police spokeswoman Barbara Morgan says narcotics officers attended the Jan. 27 meeting with Woznicki to express their concerns about marijuana possession being illegal in Nevada.

But she says the decision to cancel the event was made by Mandalay Bay.

A company spokeswoman declined to comment.

Information from: Las Vegas Review-Journal